Kanawha Boulevard West

Kanawha Blvd., West

402 Kanawha Blvd, West c. 1925 contributing building

2-story brick American Foursquare –style house has a hipped roof porch supported by square wooden columns. Roof dormers with are on all sides of the house. Fixed shutters surround the one –over-one windows with plain stone sills. An oriel bay window is on the eastern elevation towards the rear of the building. Rusticated stone provides the foundation for the structure.

Garage c. 1925 non-contributing building

1-story, two bay, front gabled garage with vinyl siding and modern overhead garage doors and small shed roof overhang.

404 Kanawha Blvd, West c. 1925 contributing building

2 ½-story rusticated stone front gable with wing house has a shed roof porch with overhanging eaves. The fenestration is plain stone sills and replacement sash. An internal stone chimney remains on the eastern side of the gable. On the western elevation, a hipped roof with overhanging eaves meets the shed roof porch.

Kanawha Blvd at Delaware Ave c. 1925 contributing building

2 ½ –story stucco Tudor-revival style house with a steeply side gabled roof and a shed roof porch and entrance way. The porch has a shed dormer with a small two pane window. There is little decoration or architectural detail on this building. The western elevation faces Delaware Avenue and has a second entrance with a rounded doorway and curved concrete stairs. The windows are paired on the second story and a line of 4 ribbon windows on the first story between the two entrances. 

Garage c.1925 contributing building

Two-bay, flat roof garage with stepped parapet on side elevations. Two-sets of swing-open doors.

502 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1925 contributing building

2½-story American Foursquare of wood construction, finished in non-historic siding, with a hipped roof penetrated by hipped dormers and a red brick corbelled chimney. 2-bay façade with the main entrance offset, shielded by a hipped-roof front porch with replacement support columns and a replacement wrought iron balustrade. Fenestration is flat-topped, 1/1, with replacement sash and fixed exterior shutters.

504 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1920 contributing building

2½-story American Foursquare finished in red brick, with a hipped roof penetrated by corbelled brick chimneys and a hipped dormer. Roof surfaces are finished in red tile. Extending across the façade is a brick porch supported by brick piers and enclosed within a solid railing. Fenestration is flat-topped, with original sash retained.

Garage c. 1920 contributing building

1-story, two bay, brick garage with a gabled roof and a wall dormer on the western elevation, which is accessed from an alley behind the house. There is a small fixed pane window on the western elevation as well. The overhead garage doors are replacements.

506 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1925 contributing building

2½-story Georgian Revival-style residence finished in red brick, with a symmetrical 3-bay façade & side-gable roof with three gable dormers featuring semi-circular windows with curvilinear tracery. The main entrance is centered on the façade, incorporating a segmental-arched fanlight and sidelights. Extending across the façade is a 1-story porch with a centered pediment, supported by clustered Doric columns and trimmed with modillions and a dentil band. Fenestration is flat-topped, with multi-light sash.

Garage c.1970 non-contributing building

Three-bay, side-gable, concrete block garage with roll-up doors. Modern.

508 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1925 contributing building

2½-story American Foursquare of wood construction with a hipped roof and hipped dormers. 2-bay façade with the main entrance offset on the west side, shielded by a hipped-roof porch supported by Doric columns. Non-historic siding and replacement windows.

Garage c. 1950 non-contributing building

1-story brick and concrete block, four-bay garage with the original doors and a flat roof.

510 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1950 non-contributing building

2½-story gable-front vernacular residence of wood construction with a step-shouldered exterior brick chimney and gabled dormers penetrating the roofline. On the east elevation is a 1-story bay window. Shed-roof front porch has been enclosed. Fenestration is flat-topped, with some original sash. Property is noncontributing because it was constructed outside of the period of significance.

Garage c. 1980s non-contributing building

Modern concrete block garage.

516 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1925 non-contributing building

2 ½-story gable-front residence of wood construction, with a hipped front porch supported by round wooden columns on piers. The secondary story has a shed roof over the balcony supported by two paired round wooden columns. Fenestration is flat-topped with some replacement sash. A large addition covered in vinyl siding with a flat roof changes the overall appearance of the house. The addition negatively affects the historic integrity of the resource.

520 Kanawha Blvd., West, c 1925, 1996 non-contributing building

Unitarian Church. 2-story church finished in stucco, incorporating elements of the Prairie style, with a low profile and modest ornamentation. Multiple roof system including gabled sections and hipped sections with some windows set immediately below the eaves. The original house was constructed in the 1925s but the modern sanctuary was added on in 1996. Therefore this building is a non-contributing resource.

620 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1970 non-contributing building

Grace Bible Church. 2-story non-historic church building, finished in red brick, with simple lines and little ornamentation. Fenestration is flat-topped, with windows set singly and in groups. 

Apartment building c. 1935 non-contributing building

2-story polychrome brick structure has a front gable and a flat roof addition on the rear. The rear addition has rows of windows in a straight line on both stories. One external brick chimney remains on the eastern side of the front gable. The entranceway has two doors and a front projecting gable with new siding. Modern windows. The building has had numerous changes and no longer resembles an historic resource.

622 Kanawha Blvd., West c.1970 non-contributing building

Seventh Day Adventist. 1-story modern church finished in brick, with an A-frame profile. Appears to be less than fifty years of age.

624 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1980 non-contributing building

Modern educational facility finished in brick. Less than fifty years of age.

628 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1925 contributing building

2-1/2 story Foursquare with Craftsman elements finished in red brick, with a hipped roof and hipped dormer; all roof surfaces are finished in red tile. Broadly projecting bracketed eaves. Extending across the façade is a 1-story porch supported by Doric columns resting on brick piers and enclosed within a solid brick balustrade. Fenestration is flat-topped, with replacement sash. The main entrance is offset on the west side of the façade, incorporating a single door en-framed within sidelights.

Garage c.1925 contributing building

2-story garage/apartment of brick and wood, with the original wooden doors.

632 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1925 contributing building

2-story Colonial Revival-derived residence finished in red brick, with a gable-end orientation to the street and a red tile roof. The pediment of the gable on the façade is finished in stucco and is penetrated by a stylized Palladian window. 3-bay façade with the main entrance offset on the west side, shielded by a substantial arcaded brick and wood porch with a roof balustrade.

Garage c. 1925 contributing building

1-story brick garage with a single overhead door.

634 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1925 contributing building

1½-story, side-gable Bungalow of wood construction, finished in non-historic siding, with a

substantial gabled dormer centered on the façade. Decorative brackets under the eaves, and a recessed front porch of brick. On the west elevation is a 1-story oriel window.

Garage c. 1925 contributing building

1-story wooden garage with Adirondack bracing to match the house.

636 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1925 contributing building

2½-story, front-gable house with Craftsman elements. Wood construction with a gable roof and gable dormers on the side elevations. The building exhibits a varied profile including a forward-projecting gable-end-oriented porch and a secondary entrance on the east elevation within a gabled projection. Fenestration is flat-topped, 1/1, with replacement sash, including a 3-window unit on the second story shielded by a shed-roofed hood. Craftsman-style brackets are under the eaves.

700 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1935 non-contributing building

Substantial 2½-story American Foursquare converted for double occupancy, finished in non-historic replacement shiplap siding, with a hipped-roof front porch with roof balustrade. The main roof incorporates a hipped-roof system with a small dormer. It appears that two additions nearly doubling the footprint of the original building. Fenestration is flat-topped, with replacement sash. Due to the additions the building is considered non-contributing.

702 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1930 contributing building

1½-story, side-gable house finished in buff-colored brick, with a side-gable roof of tile, and a steeply pitched gable-end oriented entry bay offset on the façade, with a stylized lancet window in the pediment. The main roof is penetrated by dormers, with windows retaining original operable shutters. A porch in the angle of the ell on the façade is supported by oversized Doric columns. This house has been identified as a Sears catalog house (Glen Falls).

Garage c. 1930 contributing building

A matching 1-story, one bay, brick garage with one overhead door and a flat tiled roof.

706 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1960 non-contributing building

1-story minimal traditional residence finished in red brick, with a low-pitched hipped roof. The

building is built on a raised foundation and incorporates a basement garage on the west side of the  façade. Above the garage is a cantilevered porch enclosed within a wrought iron replacement balustrade. Fenestration is flat-topped, with replacement sash. The house is noncontributing because it was built outside of the period of significance.

708 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1935 contributing building

1½-story house with Tudor Revival elements. Intersecting gable roof and an L-shaped façade,

incorporating a forward-projecting gable-end-oriented entry bay with the main entrance featuring a round-arched door framed within stone. A one story stoop, shielded by a metal canopy, is in the angle of the ell. Step-shouldered exterior gable-end brick chimney. Fenestration is flat-topped, with replacement windows.

Garage c. 1935 contributing building

Two-story garage/ apartment with a hipped roof and overhead garage doors.

710 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1935 contributing building

2½-story minimal traditional Colonial Revival-derived residence finished in red brick, with an

intersecting gable roof and a forward projecting gable-end-oriented wing on the east side of the

façade, through which is the main entry, incorporating a semi-circular doorway shielded by a metal canopy. Fenestration is flat-topped, with multi-light replacement sash, set singly and in pairs. Interior gable-end brick chimneys.

712 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1930 contributing building

2-story Mediterranean Revival-style residence finished in stucco, with a hipped roof and an arcaded front porch, portions of which have been enclosed with fixed glass. Fenestration is flat-topped, and a second story balcony is over the porch, accessed by double doors from the inside.

Garage c. 1970 non-contributing building

1-story, four bay, flat roofed, brick garage.

800 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1935 contributing building

2-story residence finished in red brick, Tudor Revival elements, with a multiple roof system including a forward-projecting offset gable-roofed entry bay on the east side of the façade, incorporating a recessed entry door, semi-circular in form. A gabled wall dormer is on the west side of the façade. Fenestration is flat-topped, with multi-light sash and some windows exhibiting exterior fixed shutters. Paired garage doors at the basement level access the house on the east elevation.

802 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1945 contributing building

1½-story minimal traditional house finished in red brick, with a side-gable roof and a forwardprojecting entry bay which is gable roofed, with a semi-circular oculus in the pediment. Small gabled dormers penetrate the roofline along with a substantial brick fireplace chimney. Fenestration is flattopped, with replacement sash. The main entrance is near the center of the façade, accessed from a brick stoop.

Garage c. 1945 contributing building

A concrete block garage with a brick veneer front gable and an overhead garage door.

804 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1945 contributing building

One of a series of apartment building adjacent to one another, this example being three bays in width with a centered entrance and flat-topped windows throughout. The façade is finished in multi-colored brick.

806 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1945 contributing building

One of a series of apartment building adjacent to one another, this example being three bays in width with a centered entrance and flat-topped windows throughout. The façade is finished in red brick.

808 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1945 non-contributing building

One of a series of apartment building adjacent to one another, this example being three bays in width with a centered entrance and flat-topped windows throughout. The façade is finished in multi-colored brick. A 2-story porch has been added to the façade and it thus does not retain sufficient integrity.

812 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1980 non-contributing building

2-story modern apartment building finished in red brick, with wood balconies flanking the main

entrance which is shielded by a pedimented hood.

818 Kanawha Blvd., West c. 1940 contributing building

1-story Colonial Revival-style house of wood construction, with a symmetrical façade and a centered entry incorporating a semielliptical fanlight and sidelights flanking a single entry door. The entry is shielded by a pedimented hood supported by paired Doric columns and defined by pilasters flanking  the doorway. Fenestration is flat-topped, with windows set singly and in pairs, with fixed exterior shutters. Listed on the 1947 Sanborne Fire Insurance Map as “Woman’s Club.”

820-826 Kanwha Blvd., West c. 1980 non-contributing building

2-story brick, side gabled roof with boxed overhanging eaves, apartment complex with 6 units facing Kanawha Boulevard with balconies. Each entry side lights and aluminum columns.

About This Website

This project is a collaboration between the West Side Neighborhood Association and the City of Charleston, and has been made possible in part by a 2019 grant from The Greater Kanawha Valley Foundation.

Is My Home Historic?

CLICK HERE to enter your home’s address and see if there are any historic credits you can take advantage of for updating your home.

Privacy Settings
We use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. If you are using our Services via a browser you can restrict, block or remove cookies through your web browser settings. We also use content and scripts from third parties that may use tracking technologies. You can selectively provide your consent below to allow such third party embeds. For complete information about the cookies we use, data we collect and how we process them, please check our Privacy Policy
Youtube
Consent to display content from Youtube
Vimeo
Consent to display content from Vimeo
Google Maps
Consent to display content from Google